1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop de Grass, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]
    These are photos of my Ameraucana pullet named Amy henhouse - she had great eyeliner as a chick.
    She is now 9 weeks old and today I saw her chest bumping with another pullet and she went further and was pulling at the hackles of the other bird. I have a feeling she is a roo because her comb is also more pronounced!
    I can return her to the breeder, I have too many Roos right now!
    What do you think?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks cockerelish to me.

3. Coop de Grass

That is what I thought. I've seen my hens doing the chest bump, but it was different - they didn't have the staring down or the hackles. I may have two Ameraucana roos! I was hoping to catch them in the act, but they didn't cooperate!

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    It's definitely a cockerel since the comb is so much more pronounced and how you described it's behavior.

5. Coop de Grass

Thanks! I am relatively new to chickens - will hit the year on June 22, 2016, and Ameraucanas are a very new addition to the flock!
    [​IMG]

6. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    They are definitely a breed I want to explore in the future. Such unique birds, in sure you'll get beautiful eggs out of them! Best of luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by