Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xenorph, Sep 6, 2010.

1. xenorph

xenorph Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    These guys are 9 weeks old today. I keep having the feeling that the one on the right is a roo. Paranoid? Maybe. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, and they're black australorps.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Look like a bunch of girls to me.

3. xenorph

xenorph Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks, it's my first time with chickens so I'm not really sure what to look for.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    No roo for you!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    All girls.

6. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Quote:X2 They look exactly like my Black JG girls. My JG roo had very a obvious red comb and wattles by nine weeks and very long tail feathers.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:I always look for pointy feathers on the back at the base of the tail. Roosters of almost all breeds have these, its just a matter of the age that they show up. Looking at the comb an wattles dont really work unless you know the breed an bloodline to compare it to.

Here is a pic of someones older roo... Notice the feathers are pointy around the back an tail. Those should be shorter at yours's age but they should be there. Neck feathers are usually pointy on roos to but some breeds hens have those too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Look like all females to me.

9. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    all female

10. Moonchild

Moonchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Spartanburg,SC
    Quote:I always look for pointy feathers on the back at the base of the tail. Roosters of almost all breeds have these, its just a matter of the age that they show up. Looking at the comb an wattles dont really work unless you know the breed an bloodline to compare it to.

Here is a pic of someones older roo... Notice the feathers are pointy around the back an tail. Those should be shorter at yours's age but they should be there. Neck feathers are usually pointy on roos to but some breeds hens have those too.
    http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7980/imagen002al.jpg

Thanks I am new to this also and I have 4buff orp and 3 rock chicks and I'm very afraid one maybe a roo...So I'm glad someone gave me the simple of it!! When it comes to sexing chicks! Thanks! Fingers crossed all Gurls!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by