Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by geckolas, Feb 24, 2013.

1. geckolas

geckolas Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Here is the 3 week old australorp we just adopted. I'm guessing Roo. What do you all think?[​IMG]

2. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Defiantly a roo. Got all of my girls at 3 weeks old and I got an australorpe and she didn't have a comb at all.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yeah that's a little boy there.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Has to be a rooster cockerel if it's only 3 weeks old and looks like that. My cockerels weren't that advanced until 9 or 10 weeks old...and they are small birds, so that has to be a cockerel.

5. geckolas

Aug 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    He is the sweetest thing. We adopted him from a local girl who hatched him herself. I'm sure he is missing his 'mom' right now. He hasn't stopped chirping yet. Its very cute and sad at the same time.

6. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -definitely a little roo. He needs a pal in the brooder! That will help him settle down and not chirp so much. Baby chicks prefer being part of a flock (even if it's just a wee flock of two).

7. geckolas

Aug 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    He was raised by himself. He has a mirror in the box. I have 23 other chicks (only a week old) in the brooder to him waiting to be introduced. It just might take a few days or weeks for that. Any suggestions for introducing him to either the older or younger flock? Should I just let him get to know one of the biggest chicks first?

8. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    As a general rule, introducing outside birds into your existing flock without adequate quarantine is a bad idea...

1 person likes this.
  9. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Oh my! He will definitely not be alone for long! -and I suppose keeping him quarantined for a while is best. After, I would let him and the other chicks scratch around together for a bit each day with supervision. If the groups of chicks are only a few weeks apart, it shouldn't be a big deal. We raised two sets of chicks (day old/2 weeks old) in separate brooders initially. After about two weeks, (and getting them together each day with supervision) we were able to place them in the same brooder without incident - and then, the same coop. [we did purchase both sets of chicks from the same store/source and did not quarantine] Good luck with your sweet li'l addition to the flock!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by