1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mesz5, Aug 24, 2013.

1. mesz5

mesz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    I started getting eggs finally and just realized the eggs are fertilized!! I'm excited to have a rooster but I can't figure out which one he is.. This girl/guy is not laying, and does not do that squat thing. They are all 22 weeks and not crowing... This is the my guess for our rooster. We have its twin... She IS laying and they look alike (feathers/combs/waddles, EXCEPT this one has long ears?? What is that??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm just too impatient to try and wait it out to see who the rooster is! Haha

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I do not see a rooster, she is definitely a pullet. Are you sure the eggs are fertilized?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. mesz5

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    [​IMG]

I had a thread the other night and they thought so, but... What do you think?

4. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Hmm id does appear it could be fertilized. But the pullet posted above is not the culprit. Do you have pics of the rest of your flock?

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you have pictures of the rest of your chickens? Especially if you have any with anything other than single combs or bigger breeds like orpingtons or giants where roosters seem to "hide" longer.

6. mesz5

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    Ha, I was sure that was my culprit!! Ok, I'll get some pictures of the "girls" who are not laying... Outside I go!!

7. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I was just looking at all the pics you posted on your other thread. They all look kind of pullety. You said they are 22 weeks right? Roosters are usually pretty obvious at that age. I wonder if you have a slow maturing rooster hiding in your flock.

These are my 12 and 15 week old Roosters I have now look like total boys with their long curved green tail feathers Do any of yours have this type of tail?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mesz5

Mar 18, 2013
    Meeker, Colorado
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is getting close to my last guess?!?!
    Nobody has long feathers (tails) and they all look like hens to me!! I have 1 or 2 more options I will get "better" pictures of them now...

9. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Those all look like pullets also.

10. JuniorMint

JuniorMint Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    Seattle
    What is the trick to tell if an egg has been fertilized?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by