Roo?

AmyWho

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
Portland, OR
Barred rock. 3 months and 21 days old.
Those tail feathers make me think roo, but that comb is small and lighter than most BRs I've seen of the same age.
It's a flighty little bird, but not mean.
I assume it's too early to see any spur development, but I included a pretty pixelated closeup of the tiny leg bump in case it'll help.

I'll be happy to answer any questions to help sort this out.
What say you, byc?

fl.gif
please say pullet
fl.gif
please say pullet
fl.gif
please say pullet
fl.gif

per usual, pictures get bigger when you click 'em.

Last edited:
I'm thinking rooster. I don't know why the comb is so small, but those saddle feathers coming in and the sickle feathers in the tail.....plus, at this age he's got that gawky/gangly cockerel look.

.plus, at this age he's got that gawky/gangly cockerel look.
I agree to an extent, but the first picture is kind of deceiving for that because it was running. In the second picture where it's just walking you can see it's kinda squatty like the rest of my girls.

I'm feeling like this one is a pullet. At 15 weeks a BR cockerel should be obvious, and isn't this bird too dark to be male?

OP, catch the bird and look very carefully just in front of the tail and on the neck for any sign of long, skinny saddle and hackle feathers coming in. It's a little early for them, but you might be able to feel the pin feathers under the other feathers. Spur development means nothing--pullets also have spur buds, and often spurs on males don't develop until they're over a year old.

Last edited:
Are the feathers on its tail pointed? And are there any narrow, pointed feathers beginning to grow from its back (its difficult to tell from the photos, especially in barred birds)? If so, then its a rooster. But otherwise, the coloring and comb development make me think hen.

Back
Top Bottom