Rood Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lucyboo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. lucyboo

lucyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    okay so i have a rooster that i have raised from the egg, he started out so sweet and loved to be picked up! but all of a sudden he began to flog me and will NOT let me pick up one of my hens! i dont want to sell or cull him because he is a pet, is there anything i can do to change his temperment?
    thanks

<3 kelsey

2. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    My rooster was very sweet as well.....One day he was attempting to "catch" one of the hens and she ran behind me to get away from him and he came up to catch her behind me and I stuck my foot out to stop him and to basically say "leave her alone" and he decided to try and flog me......he got my foot at full force...my kick sent him slamming into the fence...he NEVER came at me again!!! IF he does he will meet the chopping block. I refuse to walk around the yard worrying about myself OR my kids.

3. lucyboo

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    ouch! flogging is never fun haha
    my roo came up behind me as well, in the end of THAT flog i got a nasty hole pecked in the back of my leg and 2 big bruises.
    i also kicked him but that only seems to encourage him to fight back :/

<3 kelsey

4. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Sorry, but I think I would take him to the chopping block. I have read posts on here that people and children have been injured VERY badly from roos. One was a baby and had to go the hospital. My aggressive behavior worked for me, but not for others...think it depends on your rooster. I also would not give him to anyone else UNLESS they were going to butcher him.

5. lucyboo

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    oh no! thats horrible! was the baby okay?
    and i am not capable of culling any of my babies, and hes a good rooster.
    do you think his aggressiveness came from maturity?

<3 kelsey

6. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't know.....Others have more experience and hopefully can chime in. I have read where people have grabbed the roo and carried him around....held him by his feet upside down took a stick to defend themselves when they go to the coop.....none of those I am willing to do on a daily basis. So for me he would meet his end.
    The baby was attacked in the house strapped in a carseat....the door got left open and the roo came in and attacked the baby. Got the baby's face...so I am sure has scars forever.

7. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    If you have children, I would be VERY wary of keeping a mean roo! You can cull him....I know you don't want to. But for your safety and the safety of others I would. My chickens are pets as well so I know how you feel. I had 2 hens get eggbound and after 2 days I culled them. It is not easy and I did not want to but it was something I HAD to do. At some point everyone who keeps chickens will HAVE to cull. For aggressiveness, sickness, egg bound. it was watch them suffer until they died or put them out of their misery. i chose to end it for them. If you chose to keep him and you have children....keep them away from the chicken house...don't ever trust the roo!

8. lucyboo

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    awww poor baby :( makes me sad for him/her
    and i carry a stick around the yard when they are out. i will try the feet thing! thanks!
    unfortunatly i just lost one of my hens from the eggbound situation but i had no idea she WAS eggbound or i would hv taken her to be put down.
    anyways i dont have any children but i do have a young sister, she was chased by Spots the other day until i went over and kicked him.
    i forgot to tell you that he leaves my dad alone which is weird! like my dad hasnt ever held Spots before. although being my dad is 6'4" i would leave him alone too lol
    hopefully the feet thing will help,
    do you think maybe he will grow out of it? he is farely young.

<3 kelsey

9. nakedneckmom

nakedneckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    I have also have a roo that is starting to reach maturity. I have raised him from the time he was a day old. He "flogged" the back of my leg one day, and I hit him on the tail feathers with a plastic muck fork. He was fine for a couple weeks, and then the other day he did it again, only from the front. I put my foot up to stop him, so he ran into that with his chest. But then he did it again! So I chased him around a little. They seem some what half-hearted attempts (like he doesn't really know what he is doing). Today I was in there on a mission and didn't give him a chance before I kind of chased him around, and flapped my arms like some people have said (instead of physically hitting him). He always runs away, but he crows, and then I just get the feeling that he is giving me "the look". I also picked up one of the hens in front of him.

We have a small flock, and its making me very sad to have to even worry about him, and think that he may only get worse. My question is do Roosters go through an adolescence and then come out the other side a little calmer? Or if they are displaying aggressiveness it will only get worse? "Vlad" never acts up around my boyfriend. My boyfriend, though, is able to pick him up, and he is just too big for me to do that. Although I might be trying it for better or worse!

10. lucyboo

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    i do the same things! (picking up the hens in front of him, ect.) im also wondering the same things you are wondering.
    what breed is your Vlad?

<3 kelsey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by