roof covering for run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by willowbendbb, Mar 27, 2011.

1. willowbendbb

willowbendbb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Would a "chicken wire" be ok to use on the roof of the run if we plan on locking the chickens in the coop each night? We plan on using hardware cloth or welded wire fencing for the walls.

2. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    A roof for your run is basically for predator protection from above (hawks, owls, eagles). Chicken wire will provide this protection more than adequately. Many folks just use netting to protect from above. I have chicken wire over my run and lots of aerial predators and have had no problems.

3. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I'd go with the netting idea over some kind of rigid metal frame. If you have hot summers, you can also use the frame to rig up some shade fabric for the hottest periods.

4. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    That will work fine if you do close em up at nite. But if you are in a hot or warm cllimate like we are, I leave my pop door and 4 vent windows open at nite in the summer to keep it cool. If you plan on leaving them open like I do, I would use hardware cloth like on your walls of the run. Coons, possum, fox, and a whole lotta other predators can go right thru chicken wire, and thus into your coop if the pop door is open. [​IMG] good luck....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by