Roof Decking for Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smproud, Feb 10, 2014.

1. smproud

smproud New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    I have a coop under construction. Next weekend I will be adding the roof decking for the coop and run. My main question is is it ok to use OSB for the decking on the run part? I will put felt paper and shingles to both the coop and run, but will the humidity harm the OSB? Should I use plywood instead? You can see the coop and run in the pictures below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RazeNCain

RazeNCain Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    Most roofs use OSB even here in Florida. Just make sure it's sealed tight with felt paper and shingles.

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I used clear corrugated roofing from home depot, it keeps everything dry and lets the light come thru, if you check prices I think it's less money than osb.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OSB should be fine with proper shingling.
    Put a nice ridge vent in there and cover your soffits with 1/2" hardware cloth and you'll have a good ventilation system.
    Nice Building!

5. woodsman23

woodsman23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    cover floor OSB with a linoleum and some adhesive to make it water resistant.

6. woodsman23

woodsman23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    look into metal roofing

7. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a similar design as you and I used galvanized roofing. The cost worked out better and install was far easier and quicker than osb, tar paper and shingles. Plus, I like the look of galvanized roofing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The joists on the front half are covered and hardware cloth to securely close the roof. I've since covered the hardware cloth with geo-textile material to provide additional covered space, rain protection and shade.

[​IMG]

8. smproud

smproud New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    I have been considering corrugated roofing on purlins. My main concern is that I live on the Florida Gulf Coast and we tend to get tropical storms on occasion. I have read that roofs with decking will withstand winds better that roofs with purlins.

9. RockyComfort

RockyComfort New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    SOUTHERN Illinois
    I'm a carpenter and I'm getting ready to build my first coop. I think you will be fine with either choice. Maybe staining/treating the underside of the roof would help control moisture. You could also check out Zip sheeting. It has a coating that is moisture "proof". No need for felt paper. You could install the sheeting upside down, to prevent moisture underneath, then apply felt paper on top before shingles.

10. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    As long as it's not unsealed cedar it should be fine. Cedar causes respiratory issues (unsealed and shavings).

I like green house roofing for mine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by