1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roof for my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anny, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Well, change of plans. I originally wanted to put a Clear corrugated plastic roof on my coop but my boyfriend thinks it's over kill since the coop is already INSIDE the garage.

So what should I do for the roof?

Should I just place some 2x4s across it and screw a piece of plywood to them?

I should probly insulate the roof...how do I put insulation in the roofing? Do I sandwich it between plywood...? ( I live in Michigan which has cold looooooonnnnng winters, and the garage is unfinished, no insulation)

The roof doesn't need to be weather proof since has the garage roof above it.

The coop is only 4x6 ft

[​IMG]
    This is what my (unfinished coop) looks like to give you an idea.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I would not insulate it. the birds might try to eat it. plywood is good.

3. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    If its always going to be inside the garage why not just tack some chidken wire on the openings.

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I won't either but, if it is that cold you could put foam board on top of the roof so it is not is their coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by