Roof for our new coop (metal or asphalt?)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Adri, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Hi, I'm new here and would really appreciate some advice. My DH is currently building a new garden shed with a woodshed lean-to on the north side and a coop on the south. The coop will be 8X10 and DH is using rough cut lumber, but will be insulating just the walls in the coop part. We are debating what kind of roof to put on the whole project. We like the look of metal, but I was wondering how a metal roof would affect the temperatures inside the coop. Is it warmer in summer and colder in winter? Or does it not make a difference. Thanks!

2. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm wondering the same thing. I too, like the look and practicality of metal. I have read some concerns over noise level with rain on a metal roof.....don't know if that's an issue as well?

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I would think the metal would make it really hot during the summer. And not so warm during the winter. If you have a white shingle roof, that would reflect the heat during the summer so your birds wouldn't be so miserable. They don't take heat so well.... Don't know if all that noise would freak out the birds, also. It can be really loud.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You can, and in a cold climate probably SHOULD, insulate the underside of a metal roof. It's not a big deal. In addition to the temperature issues mentioned, insulating a metal roof in a cold climate will prevent condensation from forming and making the coop extra damp. Uninsulated metal roofs are quite noisy in a hard rain (insulated, somewhat less so, but still louder than a shingled roof) but I have no idea whether or not that bothers chickens.

Asphalt shingles do look a bit more 'traditional'. One thing to bear in mind is that the roofing nails will stick out the underside of the plywood roof decking, and if you do not insulate the underside (which gives you a double 'ceiling' that covers the nails), the coop ceiling will be a forest of surprisingly long very pointy booby traps just waiting to scalp you. If it's going to be an 8' ceiling and there will be no possible way for chickens to get up near the ceiling (no high roosts or rafters) then that is probably ok. Otherwise, don't say you weren't warned [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    use the sheet iron/tin for the roof.the noise wont bother the chickens 1 bit.an you wont need to insulate.because if you do youll cause the roof to condensate.an sweat an dripp water off the insulation onto the floor of your coop.an itll sure sweat a mildew during the summer.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Sorry wynedot55 but that is backwards -- insulating the underside of the metal roof PREVENTS condensation. It is bare metal that will get condensate and drip, because it offers a cold surface on which the relatively-warmer moist air of the coop will condense out.

Pat

7. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I have a tin roof on my coop, and the rain noise doesn't bother the chickens. The tin reflects heat in summer, and heat is a more serious issue for chickens than cold. Mine is not insulated and does not sweat. This could be because of the tree behind the coop which provides plenty of shade in summer. You can use screws if you don't want the nails to be an issue or you can use a dremmel tool to get rid of protuding nails. A tin roof is also more economical.

8. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    I have recently started my coop also. My plan is to put tar paper over the plywood roof. and put a raised (using 1x4's) corrugated metal cover over that. I'm hoping that the spacing between the metal and the tar paper will allow a bit of air circulation.

At least that is the current plan (I've changed coop designs about 20 times since I started picking up the lumber).[​IMG]

9. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    metal will last longer than asphalt
    asphalt needs to be replaced in time
    metal will really be better in the long run

10. Pitchfork

Pitchfork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Oklahoma
    There are several types of new reflective insulation being used with metal roofing that really works wonders and is tough enough that if the birds can reach it they will have a hard time pecking through it. My son-in-law works for a metal fabrication company and he brought some scrap by the house last year and I placed it along the west wall of my shop building and you could stand at the point were the insulation ended and bare metal began and on a hot day with your hand 4 inches from the wall you could feel the heat just boiling off the bare metal but the insulated section was cool. I did a test using pink fiberglass, white styrofoam, and this new thin reflective type and the reflective type was far superior to the others. I know it is more expensive but for a small shed or coop it should not be too expensive.
    Mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by