Roof material question for run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DanielleinLA, Aug 12, 2011.

1. DanielleinLA

DanielleinLA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I am building a run about 7'x13' and am trying to cover it to keep raccoons and possums out (predators in my neighborhood). One side is a solid building wall, two are 3' concrete walls with chainlink above and the front side is hardware cloth. Entire run is 8' tall. The bottom is secure. I can't find affordable 7' wide HC and do not need a solid roof. It rarely rains and the run is shaded by an avocado tree. Will the predators climb up and get in the top if I use plastic deer fencing and not hardware cloth? Thank you in advance!

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, predators will climb onto the top of your run. I like corrugated plastic or metal for the roof of my runs.

3. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    We have a 12' X 20' run and put chicken wire over the top. We also put a heavy duty tarp over it for added strength and for shade as well. We hope it is enough [​IMG]

4. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Got metal roofs on runs got them free from local roofer. The coop is one color the run another but it was free & brand new.HC on any open areas. I used dog kennel panels for my runs.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. harri

harri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I have 2x3 welded wire on top of my run. It is 4' wide and i used a 4x4 across the run to staple the edges of the wire together.

6. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I've got corrugated plastic over my run. It wasn't too expensive and provides shade as well as security.

7. Toothless Willie

Toothless Willie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Have you considered something like this? This run is on top of a 5X15 dog run. Gray electrical PVC mounted in rail clamps is run every 4 feet as I recall. We used 36" hardware cloth with a lap in the center and attached with zip ties. The firts picture is our first coup, thereafter are the coop I am refering to.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=507031

8. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

coons will go right through it and drag a full size chicken out

if u got coon problems you need to put some type of 2'x4" metal fencing over it.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We are shingling our roof in the run. Right now we have welded wire, but we decided we wanted protection from the sun, rain and snow.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. DanielleinLA

DanielleinLA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Thank you all for your help. I plan to do a combo of corrugated roofing and metal fencing. Doing everything myself [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by