Roof on Chicken Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jenmar0811, Jun 6, 2016.

1. jenmar0811

jenmar0811 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    I am new to raising backyard chickens and I'm in the process of finishing up my chicken run. I have heard both sides of the story through research and some say they need direct sunlight and some say indirect will be fine. I want to cover my run with metal roofing to prevent predators like hawks and stuff. I live in Florida where the sun gets hot in the Summer, so I was thinking the metal roofing would add shade for the chickens also. Will the chickens still be productive without direct sunlight?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They don't really NEED direct sunlight - but many prefer to have some areas of it so they can sun- and dustbathe.

Metal cover works fine, but have you considered doing partial metal and partial wire? You can easily use PVC or wood to make a frame and place gamebird netting or chicken wire over top. You could do half and half to cover the run. Best of both worlds.

3. jenmar0811

jenmar0811 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    I have not thought about doing half and half but it makes perfect sense. I may just do that thanks for the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by