Roof on Chicken Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ullie, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I was looking for feedback in regards to installing a metal roof on the run do you also have small mesh wire (1 x 1) all the way under it or just maybe a foot along the edges. The run I'm building is 24' x 17'

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Keeping snow out of the run should definitely encourage them to be outdoors more during winter; they usually do not like to walk on much snow and tend to stay indoors instead. I would think snow would slide off metal better than other materials if there is enough slant, but then I'm a fan of metal roofs.

3. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    Yes roofs are great for keeping the snow and sun at bay.
    I was concern with predators and was interested in others that had built a run with metal roofs if 'they installed the fence all over (under metal) the roof or just covered a bit of the inside rather than the whole roof with mesh.

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    We're adding a roof to our run this fall. We're new to the chicken raising game and our original run didn't have a roof. With the hot summer, we ended up covering the roof with a tarp to keep the worst of the sun off them. Now we realize that we'll need a roof to keep the worst of the snow out of the run.

Live and learn! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by