1. unknownbbq2126

unknownbbq2126 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    If i build a pretty good sized run for my chickens when they get bigger i dont have to roof it do i? aslong as the sides are tall enough. Because roofing a run the size im planning would be a real pain to roof. [​IMG]

2. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Do you have hawks?

3. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    You don't have to put a roof over it, but some kind of net or wire on top of it is a good idea to predators from above out.

4. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    You should have wire over the top to stop anything from flying down into the coop, or climbing over. A roof would be nice, so that the run doesn't get too wet, or too snowy. I don't have a roof, wire...but no roof. The coop is on runners and the runners are enclosed so the chickens go under there to get shelter or out of the sun. I think a roof would be nice. We are thinking maybe in winter to put plexiglass sheets around the run so they can go out there away from the elements. We can't do it now because it would be like a greenhouse in the milder months...too hot. Good luck...happy building!!

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that a few more details are really in order befpre any real advice can be given. how big are you thinking? Where are you, and what is your climate? Are you city or country? are there Green Alligators and long necked geese? Humpty backed camels or chimpanzees? Are there cats and rats and elephants nearby?

6. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

Double

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. hueghy

hueghy Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    Here in Boise it gets hot in the summer and cold and snowy/rainy in the winter so I decided to go with a roof. I planned on this when I built the coop and have one continuous roof over the coop and run....Good luck!

8. jojufarm

jojufarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Leggett, NC
    my coop run is 50/50 i have 2x4 wire on sides and roof. and a soild roof on other half. working great

9. unknownbbq2126

unknownbbq2126 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    ok this is some pretty good advice but still kinda wondering the run isent going to be all that long maybe 10 15 feet or somewhere in between but its pretty wide. We have what i think is the same hawk that we see pretty regularly but only my big chickens would be in the run i have a smaller coop that all my little birds are in. Im in florida so its pretty hot now,kinda unpredictable rain and in the winter you never really know. I could probably put a chicken wire roof on it pretty easy and put a dor in thats kinda what im thinking. So reply back and tell me what you think.[​IMG]

10. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Yes, a minimum of wire on top. For the people door, have it open in so the chickens don't run past you when you go into the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by