Roof over the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rugznjones, Mar 10, 2013.

1. rugznjones

rugznjones Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Next weekend we are starting to put a roof over our run and coop. We got a bunch of corrugated metal for free that we plan on using. My mother in law says that we will fry our hens if we do this. I think they'll have enough breeze thru the open space of the run. Would like to get some opinions. The run is 16' long and 7 feet wide and 6 feet tall.

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    My run is 7.5'x7.5' and we have corrogated-like metal on our run. It works fine for us!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    We use corrugated metal on everything around here...the poultry do just fine as long as the run is open on the sides, the roof won't reflect much heat down inside the run.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. ChickDrmr

ChickDrmr Out Of The Brooder

What do you all think about corrugated metal for the coop itself? We plan on installing this type on just our coop this weekend.

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    I think it will be fine if it is well insulated.

6. ChickDrmr

ChickDrmr Out Of The Brooder

I don't plan on insulating. Lots of ventilation though.

7. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    In the winter it may get chilly and in the summer it may get rather warm in your coop without insulation. You say you are going to have lots of ventilation? That will be great in the summer, but do you have a way of blocking some of it off in the winter so it doesn't get as cold? You could insulate just the ceiling of your coop, like mine is, except my coop is made out of wood. Good luck!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I did this with one of my quail aviaries and regret it now. If the sides and roof are metal, in the summer it becomes a hot box inside. All that metal reflects heat inside the area and it will get overly hot. I have to run fans continuously, even when temps are in the 80's outside because all the metal raises the temp in the aviary 10 degrees or more. I don't recommend using it all around. Roof only.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  9. rugznjones

rugznjones Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Heres is what we've done so far.. This is as far as we got today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one is my daughters 4h pig pen..
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by