1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roof question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dingo, May 7, 2011.

1. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I've built a few coops before so I know roofing basics. The question is - I work at a news paper company and the method of printing is plates. Theres a chance I may be able to get some for free, would these make for a good roof?
    They would be used and have ink on them, they are aluminum sheets about 3'x2'.
    The ink should wash off with some scrubbing, but they also have a coating of something white, which I do not know what is.
    Any thoughts?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Where are you located?

The white on top would probably be a good sun reflector here in AZ.

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in Mass.
    My main concern is if whatever the white coating is, if it could leech off and into the soil. I have read that it's a water resistant coating but cannot find out what it is exactly. Maybe if I put them on white side down?
    Thoughts?

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, how about taking one of those plate to a quality paint store, and have one of the professionals check it out then advise you, gaurantee the correct product to use.

5. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    The Material Data Saftey Sheet for the printing plates should answer all your questions.

6. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    you could scrub off what ink you can, let them dry and then paint over them to seal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by