roof top chickens

artisan1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi All,

I have recently started a roof-top vegetable farm on top of a commercial building in Milwaukee (flat roof). I am hoping on adding some chickens, but am wondering about how chickens will do in the heat of the summer, the cold of the winter, and on the asphalt roof where I don't have the raised beds for the vegetables. Could chickens be allowed to range free on the roof (I have 2' parapets)?

I would love any feedback and others' experience with any project similar to this. I will try to post a picture to show the general layout as of now.

Thanks!

Erik

welcome-byc.gif

What a great project! Free ranging might include free flying right off the roof! I've seen roof top gardens and what a good use of space!

Thanks, it's been an interesting project. My knowledge of chickens comes mainly from the movie, Chicken Run. Can I get breeds that won't fly? Thanks for all the help.

While there are some breeds that fly less than others, they still would be able to fly off the roof. Landing from a height that they didn't attain from the own efforts would result in a severely damaged chicken. Even clipping their wings would not prevent them from going off the roof. With some of the heavy breed chickens you might be able to do it if you install a six foot high fence around the entire area you plan to let them free range it. I remember an episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" when they sponsored a Thanksgiving turkey giving away. Les Nesman hired a helicopter to drop domestic turkey at a shopping center. Splattered birds everywhere. I think you might be courting a similar ending to free ranging roof chickens.

If you give them some shade in the summer, and protection from severe cold in the winter, I think they should do ok, but, I certainly wouldn't let them run loose on the roof with only a 2 ft parapet. My chicks at 10 weeks can fly straight up 4 ft or higher. I'd build them a nice run with an enclosed roof so other birds can't get in to eat theri food, or them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom