Roof Vent?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Attila, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Attila

Attila Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Douglas, MA
    I built my coop this past summer and it has been working out great for my girls. it is Basic rectangle flat top roof design that is 4x8 and is about 4 feet high in the front and 3 feet high in the back. I put vents that I can open on each end of the coop to get cross ventilation. One vent is over the covered nesting boxes and the other is directly in front of the roosts. I also add DE to there bedding to help keep things dry.

Since the weather has turned colder I have been closing both the vents. When I open the coop in the morning there a a build up of moisture from the birds breath and poop. I am afraid if I leave the vents open, particularly the one in from of the roost, that it will make the coop to drafty with the cross ventilation.

I was thinking that if I add a roof vent that would be open all the time it would release the moisture and keep the coop dry.
    What does everyone think? Will something like this help or hinder?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    How big are your vents? I would definently open the vent over the nestboxes. And depending on the size of that vent and how much fresh air it lets in, I would probably make it BIGGER. You never want to shut off the ventilation in a chicken coop. As you are noticing for yourself now. A roof vent can't hurt, go ahead. Check out the pic below, and see my winter ventilation. That's a 7X3' opening. No frost or dampness in that coop.
    Jack
    [​IMG]

3. Attila

Attila Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Douglas, MA
    The vent over the nesting boxes is 1 foot by six inches.
    The by the roosts is 3 feet by six inches.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    That's enough ventilation for 2 birds (2 Sq Ft)
    There should be one Sq Ft per bird, but it shouldn't be too near the roosts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by