Roof vents adequate ventilation?

Cochaura

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
East Central Minnesota
Hello everyone, this will be our first winter with chickens and I'm concerned about adequate ventilation. We live in East Central Minnesota and get the -40 temps in winter and up to 100s in the summer. Our coop is an old ice fishing house consisting of styrofoam between sheets of plywood for the walls. I am wondering if the two roof vents are adequate ventilation? Do you still keep the vents open when its -40? In the summer we have a screened window, but that will have to be closed up in the winter. We have 12 araucana/americaunas and one buff cochin. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for your responses! The coop is approx. 7x11 and there are two roof vents. We are planning to put a vent fan in next summer to help with the heat, but we were hoping the vents would suffice for now.

IT is my understanding that ventilation is as important in the winter as the heat of the summer. The chickens respirate a huge amount of moisture for a little creature. ANd it's the moisture when combined with the freezing cold that causes frostbite.

It's better to let in the cold air than keep in the moisture.

Source: I have read all this here on BYC.

Back
Top Bottom