Roofing debacle!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mendozer, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    I'm building a new coop and I'm losing sleep over which roof to consider. I'm making it easy to disassemble. I built my frame in square panels then assembles the panels so it can be taken apart for moving. Originally, I thought OSB covered by roofing shingles. Then I thought that's heavy as ***. my roof is 4 x 8 feet total so that's really heavy. Then I thought I'd throw cedar fencing or shakes on there. But would that really be that much lighter? Why not just to OSB and weather proof it as well as paint with an exterior primer? I also see many people here doing corrugated metal roofing onto OSB, but would that be waterproof with the holes being drilled into the metal? I need cheap, functional, and portable.

AAAAAH I just can't decide.

NOTE: I'm doing my roof in two 4x4 pieces for ease of assembly.

1. OSB + roofing shingles
    2. OSB + cedar fencing or shakes
    3. OSB weather proofed and primed
    4. metal roofing over OSB
    5. corrugated fiberglass over OSB
    6. other

Any ideas on which is the best? cast your vote and fill my head with more sleep-losing ideas. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    another thing i should add is i have some shingles from the last coop. But with shingles comes weight, nails, and PITA.

3. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    The OSB isn't necessary. Its heavy and just adds cost. My coop has a metal roof screwed straight to the rafters. But then again I live in GA where the coldest part of winter is only like 20 deg for a few days. My birds love there coop

4. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    They make screws for this with rubber washers to seal the holes.

5. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    im in seattle and we certainly don't have hellish winters, but it does get cold. However, I'm with the school of thought that chickens are just fine. there are people here on BYC in minnesota that don't heat their coops. Therefore, i shouldn't have to.

The thing with putting corrugated right over rafters is it isnt sealed perfectly. That's fine for the run, but for the coop, I think i'd feel better with at least thin OSB to make sure it's fully sealed up.

I will have heating-type closeable vents located on the back wall of the coop

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You could also use rolled rubber roofing. Its not as heavy a asphalt shingles or expensive like cedar shakes. There has to be a commercial roofer in Seattle,just stop by and ask if they will give you a leftover roll,often times they throw away rolls without much on them but will be more than you need. They might even give you some glue too. You could stop by a job with a roof going on,even a couple of cut-offs might be enough. I believe in making things watertight. Painted OSB wont do the trick. Seeing that you want to make it easy to disassemble you can overlap the rubber from one section to the other without sealing it yet maintaining a watertight seal. Well thats my 2cents,that and 5 bucks will get you a Starbucks coffee.

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Do not expose OSB to weather, even if painted. It WILL come apart in damp weather (like in Seattle). I used OSB with metal roofing screwed
    into it with metal roofing screws which are watertight. You can also unscrew it if you ever want to take it down and move it. Since it is so hot
    where I live, I put a thin layer of foam insulation between the OSB and the metal, but this is overkill. Most people when building chicken houses
    simply put 1 x 4" stringers across rafters and screw the metal directly to the stringers. This is the least expensive, quickest and easiest method
    to rainproofing a barn, shed, or chicken coop.

8. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    roofing roll...you mean underlayment? the felt stuff?

9. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    I used corrugated metal for my roof. It comes in 2' x 4' sections, rather than 4' x 4'. It's strong, much cheaper than shingles(about $12 each), and will last for ever. Not so easy to move though, as you have to unscrew a bunch of screws.

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Not the felt,but its actually rubber often used on large buildings laid on top of styrofoam and sometimes covered with river stone.You can get at Home Depot or Lowes. Like I posted earlier often times commercial roofers have left over incomplete rolls that they throw away because its not worth it to haul back a roll with 15 feet on it. You might even score can of rubber roof cement. Why pay for it when you can get it for free. Its about 1/8inch thick and very durable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by