roofing felt for floor covering

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mxpres, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    has anyone used roofing felt to line a coop floor before adding fresh shavings?I have read that some have used different things,or would roofing felt create a health issue for my pullets?any suggestions would be great,,

2. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    I would think that roofing felt could easily be torn apart and eaten by chickens. So my vote is no.

3. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Agreed. Don't use it for flooring.

jeremy

4. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    If you covered it in 3 or 4 inches of good sand, maybe it would be easier to clean than concrete or boards? Dunno, never gave it any thought.

5. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    If you covered it in 3 or 4 inches of good sand, maybe it would be easier to clean than concrete or boards? Dunno, never gave it any thought.

6. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I will probably go with the paper feed bags for floor covering,someone said they can be composted after being removed from the coop,,thanks for the posts,,BYC is a great place to get answers and ideas,thanks again

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Roofing fel is a good home for for mites. I vote no.

8. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    I've heard of people lining the floor with lenolium for ease of cleaning. Makes sense. You could use barn lime too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by