1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roofing for chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ella Rollins, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Ella Rollins

Ella Rollins New Egg

Aug 4, 2016
    Hello all,
    I'm planning to build a new chicken coop in my backyard. I would like to know which is the best material for the chicken coop roofing. I found in an article that metal roofing is safe to use and can be worked in all temperatures. So shall I use metal roofing or else do you have any other suggestions for roofing??

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I decided against metal because I am afraid it would sweat with the snow on top.

Im using composition

Must. Finish. Coop.

Gary

3. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    I used metal in my woodworking shed It has a material almost like bubble wrap applied over the rafter then the metal. It is shiny silver on one side and the white side on the interior side. The condensation problem is what that stuff is made for and I never have any condensation in that shed. I bought it in big rolls from the company that supplied my metal for the roof. Of course if the chicken can get to it that could tear that stuff up. I have also seen plywood being applied then tar paper and metal over that. That way if it sweats it would drip onto the tar paper the roll off to the ground. Metal is cheaper like I did in my woodworking shop but on my coop I went 5/8 osb on rafter then tar paper, drip edge and shingles on top of that. But again I was going for that look.

Scott

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Metal roof is the cheapest and most durable, but in the right conditions, metal will result in so much condensation it will literally rain inside the building. So if you go that route, plan on using insulation beneath it.

So rafters, with purlins to screw to, then a layer if insulation (my preference for this would be the 3/4" stuff, shiny foil on one side.......which goes to the metal side........and white side to the interior) and metal roof above that.

Otherwise, plywood or OSB with standard roof of felt paper and shingles nailed into that.

5. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    Howard E is correct purlins (2x4) attached to rafters. Then the bubble wrap foils stuff over that then metal. Now if you do go that route be cautious where you step so your always on a purlin it can be a little getting use to after you cover them with the condensation barrier.

Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by