roofing material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by midd2005, May 31, 2010.

1. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i'm planning on building a coop run combo that is about 5'x13'. i live in a permanently warm climate so the "coop" portion is just going to be 3 covered sides with some roosts and a poop board down at the end and the nesting boxes underneath the poop board but extending outside of the coop/run. anyway, the whole thing is going to be covered in a roof. originally i had planned on using those sheets of ribbed metal or plastic, whichever was cheaper, but it looks like that would cost me over 100 bucks alone. so, i'm looking into maybe shingling; however, i've never shingled anything, and it seems a lot more complicated, and it's still not cheap. so now i'm thinking about just maybe using plywood on a slant, which is free. i'd paint it obviously, but i'm wondering if it's just going to fall apart immediately. it's pretty much between 67-85 here with a rainy season and a dry season. has anyone else done this and what did you think? any pics?

2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Just painted plywood may last you 2-3 years. Just from using in on sheads. If you go this route then make sure the paint is outdoors/ waterproof and paint all places. not just top.

3. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    for the roof i would really recommend using shingles because it will last alot long than paint. You can buy the roll shingles that is meant for ware houses. I used that for my coop and it it working great especially since my roof is not one piece of wood.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Shingle it. See my BYC page for pics of my Coop, it's over 15 years old. I used plywood sections for the roof, then used caulking for the seams, laid tarpaper over it, tarred the edges and placed the metal drip edges on, then shingled. I intended it to last and it has. I also tarred the ends of the rafters and used a gutter to collect rainwater to a stock tank.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Honestly? If I were in your shoes, I'd use whatever I could get for cheapest/free right now, making sure it was built as solidly as possible, and take the attitude that when it starts to threaten to deteriorate I would hopefully have more funds (or scrounging time) to replace the roof with a longer-lived successor [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    They make a composite roofing material (think asphalt type shingles) that comes in rolls 36" wide by 50 feet long. They run $25-$40. Add some plywood, roofing nails, and you are done.

7. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I agree that shingles are your best bet for the money if you can swing them right now. If you have any new construction going on around you, stop by and ask if you can have the trimmings and extra shingles when they are done. It will be a little more work putting them on in smaller pieces than the roll stuff, but if you get them for free, totally worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by