Roofing Materials??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pixie74943, Dec 14, 2009.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Just curious what people have used as roofing, where they got it, and what it cost.

Also how easy was it to work with.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My original chicken tractor, now sold, had a piece of 5/8" (IIRC) plywood covered with a clear vinyl shower curtain. This actually lasted amazingly well for a couple years, although presumably its lifespan in a place with more UV exposure would be somewhat shorter. Cost was negligable, as both were things I had lying around (the shower curtain had been retired from bathroom use due to persistant hard-water stains).

The roofed run I built last year and the one I'm working on this year have corrugated polycarbonate (Suntuf) roofing; it was about $50 for a sheet 12' long by 2' wide, although I think I paid a little extra for special-ordering it in translucent white.

My main chicken building has corrugated metal roofing. I did not build it myself, but built a big shed for the hroses with the same roofing and priced it again when contemplating the aforementioned runs; for painted metal roofing, the price was more expensive than corrugated PVC plastic (e.g. Palruf, which I'm leery of b/c it is not made to stand up to cold or hail) but at least in the gauge I was pricing it would have been very slightly less than the cost of the Suntuf.

Pat

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

On our newest roof extensions, I used the side metal from two garden sheds that I got for free. Works great, Easy to use, And it was free. Our other breeding pens have corrogated metal roofing I get damaged at Lowes for a deep discount with clear fiberglass corrogated roofing as skylights that i also pick up damaged at a deep discount.

4. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I built my coop like a house. I used the bundles of shingles left over from reroofing my house, so my coop should be good for 30 years [​IMG] The shingles were free, but everything under them cost . . . um . . . more than my wife realized. But it's a sturdy coop!

5. Grapefruit Moon

Grapefruit Moon Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    I had some bundles of shingles in my basement . . cluttering up the place for like oh .. . 20years. They are no on the chicken coop. They were left from my house roof.

6. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    It's called SunTuf bought at Home Depot and the panels were $29 each. Not sure what the mounting strips cost but they weren't very expensive.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's supposed to be virtually indestructible not like the older vinyl roofing. It was the most expensive aspect of my coop but I loved the ease of installation plus I liked the filtered light.

You can see pictures of my coop on my page if you want to see the roofing.

7. woodenart

woodenart Out Of The Brooder

Onduline.

8. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I have some with Tin sheet roofing and some with roof shingles, both work well though i prefer the tin even though its more costly

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    my baboon cage conversion has sheets of recycled plywood baling wired to the top with one inch gaps between them. It works VERY BADLY and I do not recommend that. It was originally for shade. The baboon had enough sense to stay out of the mud. Chickens, not so much. Soner or later I will have to address that little aspect of their housing. I have some recycled roofing from my patio that blew away in a really bad wind storm years ago, almost the right size... Just need to get up there and install it. Both were free.
    The horse barn has a bunch of recycled/re-used roofing tin I bought a batch of for $300 for all of it. It covers 24x36 with a vaulted roof, some left over. That stuff is pretty good.

10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Old Obama signs.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by