1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roofing nails in coop - dangerous for birds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by clarkechick, Jun 8, 2011.

1. clarkechick

clarkechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I am planning a coop with a shingled roof. The coop is not that tall... a bit over 2 feet at the sides and nearly 4 at the peak. My plan was to use asphalt shingles on the roof, but what about the roofing nails that will be sticking through? Do I need to worry about the chickens hurting themselves on them? Any suggestions for an alternative?
    The picture isn't quite to scale - proportions are not right... the run is actually taller than the coop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I had the same issue with my little coup. In my case I had 2 - 2" x 2" rafters and made sure any nails that I used were nailed into those. I used a combination of nails and roofing cement to sort of glue them on and the nails to hold them in place for the "glue". I bought the roofing cement in the tube.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, a chicken could easily fly up and impale/scratch itself on a protruding nail. I would definitely cover up those nails somehow.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My nails stick through my coop, but mine is much taller and has rafters so the chickens can't get up there. With yours being short, I'd be concerned with nails sticking through.

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    While it is not likely that they would fly into the nails, I would do what moetrout suggested since it seems if a chicken gets spooked, they fly straight up and high and could easily hit a nail and get cut or injured.

6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I would worry about the nails sticking through.
    Could you get some rigid insulation that you can glue up on the ceiling. It would be easy to push that stuff onto the nails to cover them up.

Cute idea for a little coop![​IMG]

7. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Just buy 3/4 inch plywood for the roof, roofing nails dont go through that

but if your still concerned, put beads of silica gel over the nail, giving it a soft tip.

8. BoomChickaRocka

BoomChickaRocka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    i would just snip the ends of the protruding nails off

9. BuffsareBad

BuffsareBad Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I used heavy duty staples on my shingles, working great so far. Its a 4x8 sheet of plywood at a 2 in angle so they should hold. Nothing coming through the roof

10. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Do I need to worry about the chickens hurting themselves on them?

No, most likely not.

The thicker plywood is a good option.

If that is not feasible, cut off the protruding nails with a nipper.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by