Roofing options

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristip, Sep 30, 2010.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Hello... we have started the coop and run. It will be an 8x 4 coop with a 8x8 run attached to it. The run itself will have the clear corrugated plastic on top of it. The coop though is going to be made out of plywood. It will have a flat roof, except for the 1 1/2-2 inch ventialation we will have on the three sides - so little slant to get snow and rain off.

What would you suggest putting on top of that to help preserve the wood ( besides the paint)

Any suggestions would be great!

2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Not sure of the cost, but a tin roof? I've seen those around. Snow would slide right off that. Not sure how hot it would be in the summer months, but the hens would probably be outside anyway.

3. LalahCatlady

LalahCatlady New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    I put the plastic on mine when I built it over a year ago. It has worked out so well that I used it again when I built the bantam annex.

4. EHaus

EHaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Anchorage
    We used an old pickup bedliner...just cut it to size.

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    With that size shed I would put a slant on it. Snow is not going to slide off a flat roof . [​IMG]

6. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    We used the Tuftex for the whole thing. It's only been a month, but love it so far. It's keeping everything nice and dry and warm in the coop during these last few days of rain...It was fairly easy to install as well. Don't know how it will do in the snow yet!

[​IMG]

BTW, our coop is 6x4, with the run extending another 12' . So, a little smaller than yours.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  7. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I notice you are in Wisconsin. Don't you get a lot of snow there? If so it seems like your roof would need a lot of pitch.

One of my coops has the same dimensions as yours, a 4 x 8 coop with a 8 x 8 run. I decided later to cover the run, also with metal. This roof sheds snow great!

[​IMG]

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd add at least a foot of slant, and use metal for the roof.

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Rolled roofing is pretty inexpensive & is glued on so no nails sticking through the roof. I agree with everyone else though, you'll need to put a slant on it.

10. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    8ft sections of metal roofing are $11.20 a section @ Home Depot. I just added a slanted roof to my coop, also added a roll of attic insulation ($12.50) to stop moisture buildup and also add some insulation for winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by