roofing panels expensive?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frizzleman74, Jul 11, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    im going to cover my run but corrugated roofing panels at my local lowes are expensive, about $21 for a 3x8. Does anyone know where i could get these cheaper, or is this the price that they sell for everywhere, thanks!

2. Slim Chickens

Slim Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    I was thinking about using the same thing when I began building my first coop a few weeks ago. I went with metal roofing/siding. It's a great price, light, and looks nice. I found mine from a place that sells "seconds", a bit cheaper and you'd never know any difference in it. Chicks arrive this week, so hoping they will like their new home!

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi! Not sure what part of the country your in or how close to a large town, but I'd try Craigslist or yellow pages for metal buildings or corrugated metal supplier. Alot cheaper and heavier duty than Lowes or Home Depot sells. Most of the supplies of metal roofing buy their metal in rolls and have the machinery to roll it through a machine that forms into corrugated sheets. Any lenght ya want. Your looking for what's know as an R Panel which will be 36" wide coverage. It will have 5 corrugations with flats inbetween. Galvalume in the coating or you can get it painted. There are different profiles(corrugations) you can get as well. The type I used and am talking about is like used on commercial metal buildings. Go to my page...scan through my pics and I have one of the type of metal I used. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Erik

4. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

if you are using the Plexiglas type home depot in are area is the cheapest for a 3x12

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    We are planning to use the same thing. I found some on Craigslist for half. Also check the materials section as when people tare down sheds they may just give you some. Ask on your local freecycle.org and see if anyone has some they'd like to gift you.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I had a bit of sticker shock when I saw the prices at my local Lowe's, too. However, they also had another product called Ondura, which runs about $16 for a 79'x48' sheet. It looks like the corrugated metal, but is a rubberized product. Their website is http://www.ondura.com (edited to provide correct measurements)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Darn, the Ondura runs $22 at my Lowes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by