Roofing plastic vs metal

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
  2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    My two cents... I think metal would look better over time.

3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:and last longet too

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Devil's advocate here. Plastic stays cooler/warmer and lets natural light in if u use the clear.

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi, on my coop I used Sun Tuf plastic roofing- I chose white to reflect light in the heat of summer, and also it still lets lots of light in. The Sun Tuf was a bit more expensive than regular plastic but it will last longer, and it protects against UV. You can see my coop if you go to my page! Good luck with the coop! [​IMG]

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'd like the look of the metal roof better. There is some reflector paint that you can paint on there and it helps alot!!

BTW that is the cutest little building!! I would love to buy one like that for my garden shed!! LOVE it!!

Missi

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    My coop is over 80 years old and has the original METAL roof

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I LOVE metal roofs.

I built a shelter for my chickens with firring strips and plastic roofing. Ugh- I wish I had used metal. The plastic chipped when I tried to screw into it with screws.

Tin roofs look so beautiful. [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Jeeez, metal can get SO hot around here.... At least I can touch the roof of the coop I built with that ... whatever it is... paneling I bought at Lowe's. White, kinda rubbery, could be plastic. I wanted the white to reflect the heat, but it still got hella-hot in there this summer. Could have been a whole lot hotter, though.

And the other, purchased BUILT coop has the green-ish grey panels, not metal, whatever is at Home Depot ('cause Robert told me to go look at 'em to make my choice).

And when it gets cold the few days a year, metal would be REALLY cold. Lick it/stick your tongue to it cold. Not good.

Just sayin.....

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

My first thought is to go with the plastic/fiberglass roofing. The metal roofs get too hot here in Sackotomatoes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by