Roofing Problems

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Corey NC, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    We converted an old swingset into a coop but the top is flat and we've been having trouble with leaks. I'd like to pull of the boards and replacing it with something that won't leak or be too expensive.

Here is the coop, any advice?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zylphrix

Zylphrix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2007
    Hillsborough NC
    make it have a slanted roof somehow and 90% of your leaks become easy fixes (aka: glue,caulk,shingle,tin .. lot of options)

hope that helps

Mark

just noticed you are a NC person too .. cool [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    And it does not really have to be that much of a slant. My Dad always said 1 inch of drop for every 12 inches of roof is all that is required. That works great on my chicken house.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Then you could run a sheet of plywood up each side of the slant and use some roofing to put over the ridge on top and use the "second story" for storage of stuff.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well heck, your frame just cries out for a sloped roof which as others have said will basically solve your problem. I mean you've already got most of the framing for it in place!

I don't suppose by any chance the spacing between those slanted uprights is 3'6" - 4'? If it is, just gey two sheets of 3/8" exterior plywood, cut to length if needed, screw em on (may want to add a support between the 2 existing ones), and put a screwed and caulked aluminum flashing cap over the ridge. (If wider, you will have to use multiple sheets, with a seam that should be well weatherproofed with flashing and caulk). Fill in gable ends with whatever is handy, they will not be a major leak risk. Gee, you could make the end hinged and use it as a storage loft [​IMG]

Prime the plywood then paint with good exterior paint, glossy may be better, and you will be good for at least several years.

Good luck,

Pat

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    ...And until you can get that done, btw, why not just bunge a tarp over the upper triangular section? That alone will cut leaks down a good bit.

Pat

7. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Rolled roofing will work too. Just remember to lay down a coat of roofing cement and put nails down every 6 inches.

Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by