Roofing Problems

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
We converted an old swingset into a coop but the top is flat and we've been having trouble with leaks. I'd like to pull of the boards and replacing it with something that won't leak or be too expensive.

Here is the coop, any advice?

Chicks038-1.jpg

100_1525.jpg

make it have a slanted roof somehow and 90% of your leaks become easy fixes (aka: glue,caulk,shingle,tin .. lot of options)

hope that helps

Mark

just noticed you are a NC person too .. cool
wink.png

Last edited:
And it does not really have to be that much of a slant. My Dad always said 1 inch of drop for every 12 inches of roof is all that is required. That works great on my chicken house.

Well heck, your frame just cries out for a sloped roof which as others have said will basically solve your problem. I mean you've already got most of the framing for it in place!

I don't suppose by any chance the spacing between those slanted uprights is 3'6" - 4'? If it is, just gey two sheets of 3/8" exterior plywood, cut to length if needed, screw em on (may want to add a support between the 2 existing ones), and put a screwed and caulked aluminum flashing cap over the ridge. (If wider, you will have to use multiple sheets, with a seam that should be well weatherproofed with flashing and caulk). Fill in gable ends with whatever is handy, they will not be a major leak risk. Gee, you could make the end hinged and use it as a storage loft
smile.png

Prime the plywood then paint with good exterior paint, glossy may be better, and you will be good for at least several years.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom