Roofing question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zippity27, Jul 15, 2011.

1. zippity27

zippity27 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Howdy, quick roofing question. If I'm going to use tin, corrugated metal, galvalume, for my roof, do I need to put down a sheet of plywood to help insulate it or just the metal. This is for the coop part not the run. I'm figuring I need the plywood to help with the temp.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You'll get a yes and a no answer.

My answer is, you don't need to put a plywood underlayment. Mine is just tin and works fine in this VERY HOT climate. But it could depend on how high the roof is. My coop is about 6' tall inside with a peaked roof, rafters exposed and only corrugated tin on top. So it's high enough that any absorbed heat isn't close to the birds and ventilated well enough that said heat is drawn away quickly anyway.

BUT - if the coop is short, like 2-4' tall, you might consider using the plywood.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    My coop is 5ft and I have plywood underneath.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My opinion is yes, if you're in an area that gets decently hot summers. I was helping a BYC friend convert her metal shed into a coop. I was AMAZED when I stood up in the center (was a hot, sunny day) that I could feel so much heat coming off the ceiling - without even touching it!!! Her building is not quite 6 ft. tall.

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a plywood roof. It does help keep the heat down in the summer, then keeps heat in during winter. My big mistake was not making a 6" over-hang on all sides of the roof.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The metal I'm using on my coop came off my house. Of course I've had to cut it to fit. On the house it was attached to lathing. On the chicken house it is lathing too. But I will insulate it, roof and walls with a paneling I got from H D. $15 a sheet. I might have overdone it a bit but I used 2X6 rafters just for the insulation where 2X4's would do. Don't figure I could have to much. To me I've found the press wood works more for sound than insulation. Though it does have a some insulation value. I had rather have air circulating under the tin than laying on pb.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I flushed my rafters with the top plates,sheathed with 1/2" ply. When I did the felt paper I lapped 3"s on frnt bk and gable then applied the tin roof. Rakes and facia covered the felt. This was done more to keep birds and squirrels out than for any insulation. I used white tin to reflect sun and have 3 big double hung windows and a fan. Still, it gets pretty warm on hot days.

8. zippity27

zippity27 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Would the SunTuf (plasticy corragated roof stuff) be better then the metal?

9. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I have done with and without plywood and much prefer the shed that has it because moisture condenses in the plain one and drips on the inhabitants! Suntuff is good for sides but not where you need shade. You will roast them if you have a clear roof.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'd use metal . My coop's under some trees. Plus, I might need to get up on the roof who knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by