1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roofing Shingle Help Please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JoieD, Sep 18, 2011.

1. JoieD

JoieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    First of all we are not builders, let alone roofers. We had a bunch of dimensional shingles left over from the house so we decided to use them on our first coop. We are almost finished and have run into a problem. What do we use for the ridge cap? (no ridge vent) It didn't occur to us that because they were dimensional we couldn't cut them to use as the cap, and when googling the subject the answer I find is to buy either regular 3 tab shingles or ridge cap shingles specifically made for dimensional shingles. 40 dollars. Isn't there a way to use what we have? How would they need to be cut etc. I don't care if it doesn't quite look right, just keep the rain out. Just don't want to put any more money into the roof. I still have the run to build. I've checked out Craigs list and the like, but nothing cheap enough. Anyone run into this problem or have a suggestion?

2. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    I just cut them to 13 inches and use them. I have done this alot and it only noticeable if you know the're there. Those ridge cape shingles are way too high priced and nomater how many boxes you need , you always need two or three more shingles to finish. Then you got to buy another box.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Agree with you 100% I done the same too.

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can overlap the last row of shingles on one side over the ridge then do the same for the remaining side, You can buy roofing tar (wet/dry) in a tube for your caulk gun and put a dollop on each nail head. You can try cutting your own caps but dimensionals can be a little tough to wrap around the ridge depending on the angle of your pitch.

5. JoieD

JoieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    Thanks for the replies. I'll look at both ways tomorrow. I just remembered we have a roll of starter shingle ( if that's what you call it) Would it be of any use on the ridge cap?

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I was a sales rep in the roofing business and there is a specific ridge cap designed for that. You could leave it open on each end or call a couple local roofing guys and ask to buy a broken bundle. Tell him the lengh and ask for the enough to do so many feet of roof. Some one will help you out in the area. Dont spend $40.

Good luck

Steve

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Starter would work just fine if your not concerned about appearance... remember to tar the nail heads.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  8. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad you not spending extra for the roofing metal sheeting is easier and cheaper

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by