roofing the coop

stretchc1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Connecticut
I'm building my first coop. It will be small (4'x4') with a shed roof framed and covered with plywood. I got some asphalt shingles from freecycle, but wonder what kind of material--if anything--I should use underneath them. I think I read somewhere that the felt-like roofing paper was a mite magnet and thus bad news for chickens.

I'm also wondering whether asphalt shingles are such a good idea anyway. The shed roof has to slant down toward the run area because the coop will be attached to another small outbuilding. I can put a little gutter on the edge to redirect run off, but should I worry about those little rubber specks that tend to wash off of shingles?

It seems too cold here (in CT) to use the corrugated vinyl roofing unless it was on top of the plywood. If asphalt isn't a good idea, what about cedar shingles? Same questions about what to put underneath.

Any advice welcome!

I definitely used the roofing felt and there was another question very similar in regard to the roofing felt and everyone replied that you really need it to protect the wood of your roof. Mites are going to live anywhere they can find a crack in the wood so don't omit the obvious protection in the fear of mites.

Just keep up with regular exams on your birds and mite dusting when necessary. You can not stop wild birds from flying into your yard so you will just have to deal with pests when they occur! Build your coop right the first time and it will last you for years to come.

I also used asphalt shingles and don't notice anything falling off the shingles during rain or snow, only when people are walking on the roof. If you are routing the water elsewhere, even if some of the gravel did fall off the shingles, why does that matter? The stuff can not hurt your garden. If you are intending for this to be your chickens sole source for water, I don't think you will get enough water at all times.

I agree with Sussex. I used asphalt shingles and roofing felt. No mite issue after a year. Also, no dust or particles from the roof.

Th only downside I see to the asphalt roof to this point is the weight it adds. It makes moving the coop around a little more challenging.

The particals you are talking about aren't rubber, they are asphalt. They are much sharper than most other sands. They are also just about inert in a biological sense. They are made from a very low solvent asphalt so it can be crushed into those granules and not paste up. You won't see many reach the ground anyway on such a small roof. If you are still a bit worried about them, dilute them. Spread a bag of sand on the ground around the area, and your chickens will not pick up many granules while trying to get grit.

You'll NEED that gutter to route water away from the run anyway, so that will catch any particles off the roof, end of *any* worry there might have been
wink.png

I have seen exhortations not to use roofing felt *inside* coops like to cover the insides of drafty walls; but I can't imagine anything is going to live in it *on the roof*. Even under the shingles there, it gets pretty darn hot
wink.png

Remember the nail points will protrude thru the plywood if you shingle. Make sure this will not be a problem for your head or that of the chickens. Otherwise it is *fine*, though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks, everybody!

I'm going ahead with the shingles, and I'll be extra careful about installing a decent gutter system.
cool.png

And again...I Just learned something new on BYC!!
wink.png

Gotta put a gutter up on the run side of my coop!! Or all that water will spill into the run !
sad.png

And I just happen to have some leftover guttering somewhere.......
hmm.png
now...where is my toolbelt....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom