1. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    The tractor is almost finished. We have a bunch of left over shingles we can use. Should we put something under them, between the shingles and the plywood? We looked at the black roofing paper type material at the hardware store, but it's expensive. My husband is afraid just nailing shingles over plywood will cause leaks.

2. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    I did shingles straight to the ply with no issues in 2 yrs. I had enough shingles to shorten the over lap going from bottom to the top. Used overhang on edges very generously.

3. Tlayel

Tlayel New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    Mount Holly
    You will be fine nailing shingles straight to plywood if the roof has enough of a slope (so water will run off easily). If your roof is flat you should use metal or rubber roofing material instead of shingles.

4. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    The problem with the paper is that you need to buy a complete roll. My lumber guy advised me not to bother since the roof is sloped and is only covering a 4x8 coop.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You know, I would not fuss about it myself... but if you WANT to put down the paper, just call around to some local roofers or jack-of-all-trades type handymen, and see if you can bum a scrap off them for $10 or whatever (they may decline payment, but probably oughta offer).

Have fun,

Pat

6. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I wouldn't worry about the paper either. Although around these parts it's only $11 a roll. If you get ice and snow where you live then ice dams can build up forcing water under the shingles causing a leak. Might be worth the money. Just some food for thought.

jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by