Rooish Behavior???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by twalker250, Jul 4, 2008.

1. twalker250

twalker250 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    NE Ga Mountains
    I have a questions concerning some strange behavior, maybe not but I don't know anything about baby chicks behavior. I have 16 chicks that are 16 days old and four of them have been acting strangely since they were about 8 days old. They run up to each other and bump their chests into each other all the while they are standing on their toes and looking sideways at each other. After they stop bumping into each other they just stand there on their toes, looking sideways, and appearing to have a staring contest. Are they roosters or is this just typical bayb playing behavior? The only reason I am not writing it off to playing is that it is only the four of them doing this, and they only do it to one of the other three. Thanks

2. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Mine do this all the time. I certainly hope it isn't a roo thing. [​IMG] I'm roo heavy as it is.

3. twalker250

Jun 22, 2008
    NE Ga Mountains
    Thank you. I hope it is not a roo thing. I want a couple of roosters but not four or five, and certainly ones that are already bucking each other!!!

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It is normal behavior for both sexes.

5. twalker250

Jun 22, 2008
    NE Ga Mountains
    Thank you Rooster-Red. I feel much better. [​IMG]

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    He's right. Youre seeing the social ordering beginning to occur within the flock, what we call the pecking order. It starts this early and never really stops.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Good explanation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by