Rookie chicken Papa

Madtaz

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2018
Raised in the city and visited the relatives in the country some as a youth.
Never helped with the livestock much. Moved out here not quite country but have some elbow room. Always wanted some chickens for the eggs. Bought 4 Leghorns and 3 Easter Eggers. 2 Eggers went to DIL. Appears I have 3 Roos. 1 Egger named Nugget and 2 I think are Japanese Bantam (not leghorns) Goldie and Omelet. Talk about a plan going wrong. I then bought 3 more chicks: Barred Rock - Loretta, Rhode Island Red - Stella, Easter egger - Amelia.
Built a pretty nice coop with attached run as we have red fox, coons, opossum and red shoulder/tailed hawks, bald eagles. I need to rehome at least the Egger as he starts crowing around 5 and goes till about 6:30 then quite a lot thruout the day.

Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Sorry for the kink in your egg laying plans! Did your get your chicks from a feed store? I've had good luck buying pullet chicks from stores with strict no handling policies... less likely to get mixed up, but they're still only 90% guaranteed to be girls. They do also sell straight run for a bit cheaper... those are mixed cockerel/pullets. Sometimes craigslist sellers try to trick buyers into taking their unwanted cockerels. Some people have the best luck buying pullets straight from hatcheries, but sometimes even they will send "free" cockerels as packing peanuts for extra warmth.

Good luck with your flock!

buck-around-the-clock.png

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Craigslist is a good site to rehome your cockerel. You can also try this forum. ashttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/chickens-8-weeks-older.35/ Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom