1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rookie mistake creates Frankenstein horror show...PIC!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeffross1968, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, so it isn't that bad. But...Day 23, no pips, no nothing. It was part of a staggered hatch with duck eggs that have since hatched. These should have hatched Saturday. So, today I decided to candle, saw no movement, and went to pitch them. One was see through, an obvious early death. That one went down the mountain. Just as I was going to pitch another one, it struck me that I might want to look at it. The air cell had not been pipped, so I took a knife and chipped the end with the air cell, and started peeling away. When that end was gone, I used the knife to carefully pull some of the membrane away, and immediately saw blood. I stopped, and it moved.

That was 9 hours ago. I quickly placed it in a mini eco that I was warming up for a new hatch, and the darn thing is still alive.

So, questions....

1) What does "breathing" from a chicken who hasn't pipped the air cell look like. Is it using it's lungs and breathing air? This thing doesn't seem to have normal breathing and I don't know if it's even using lungs yet?

2) Do I let nature take it's course? Is there any possibility of a good outcome?

Here's the pic....

[​IMG]

2. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    By the way, I know it was a stupid move to give up so soon, no need to berate me over it [​IMG]

3. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I always hate doing this......Because I know the leftover eggs in the bator do have a chick in it, so if it doesn't hatch, I try helping it out. I'ts always pretty much the same situation your in........but when I finally get them out, they are weak little chicks that can bearly stand. After that, they always get picked at in the brooder by the other chicks, and grow up at the bottom of the pecking order, they always look kinda scrawny and week, even when they are grown...........it's just all bad.....

Now, the eggs that don't hatch by day 24 I throw out. I don't even want to dissect them because I know that I will feel sorry and try to make them come back to life or something.

If you do manage to save the thing, make sure you feed him good stuff to help him grow up big and strong. By those electrolights, and that vitamin powder stuff to put in the chicks water, gro gel or whatever. Good luck!

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well this one died, after being like this for over 24 hours, it just stopped. Next purchase is a really, really good candler, because I think if I had not just been cupping a crappy walmart 3 dollar led flashlight, I probably would have seen that it was still alive, instead of just a dark unmoving mass. Lesson learned...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by