Rookie Mistake.... With Questions.

Wyzers

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
so 2 weeks ago we decided to pick up 4 new Ready to lay hens to add to our flock of 7 sexlink hens 20 weeks old not yet laying. long story short we got 4 gens 2 RIR and 2 Leghorns. all 4 looked super healthy brought then home made up there own coop about 10 feet away from my birds so they could see but not touch one another. 7 days go by and we decided to let them all out in run togethor some packing here and there all looked great... That same night I noticed one of my new RIR had an odd smell from its breath almost like death and I noticed it had runny nose and started sneezing
... so I pulled it from flock put it in pen 100 feet away..... 2 days later few more birds are sneezing all eatting pooping 100% normal. with no vets to go to due to covid I did some of my own reading and ordered some Tylan 50 water soluble. during the wait period for it to arrive I added oregano oil to water and apple cider drops. Tylan 50 arrived last night so I cleaned all water dishes and made proper tylan 50 water mix and gave to all my birds. So my question is.... did I screw up my entire flock? or could they all still live a perfect normal life? Are the eggs ok to eat from birds like this? and will this be an forever monthly thing I'll have to add to my birds waters? can birds just get a normal cold like people and it passes thru flock or is it normally a strain the birds will carry forever? sorry this is so long winded this kinda bugs me right now. lol I think the worst thing people can do is search the internet for answers it always seems to point u in worst directions for answers u dont want lol thanks Dave Also how long should I wait before I put the one I pulled out back in with group as all have been in tylan for 24 hrs now

It sounds like a respiratory thing. I am not an expert in this area. Have you noticed any improvement since using Tylan?
I normally keep new members separate for a longer time to make sure all is okay but this is for my own comfort and to know integration will go well, some people integrate sooner than my comfort zone.

What do the secretions from the sick bird look like? Is there thick yellow mucus from the beak? Is the crop full and puffy? Press on a feel the crop and smell his breath to check if that odor is coming from his crop. Also look inside his beak for any mucus, gunk, or canker. If she seems especially sick, you could put her down on Monday morning, and contact your state poultry vet to get testing and a necropsy. Then you would know the cause. If it is a chronic respiratory disease, then, yes, it could be an ongoing problem. If Tylan helps, then it could be mycoplasma or MG.

Back
Top Bottom