Rookie, need help sexing

Sweetchicks72

Chirping
5 Years
May 8, 2015
I'm brand spanking new to chickens. I've been raising chicks for about 8 weeks now. I have 13, some are from the feed store so they were "sexed" and I recently got a few from breeders and those are not sexed. But I have no idea how to tell any of their their genders. My sexed birds are 8-11 weeks. Can someone "confirm" that I have pullets. Here are 2 (for now) that I'm unsure of. TIA!

The SLW, Delaware, and Black Australorp all look like pullets to me. Based on its comb development at 7 weeks, I'm thinking cockerel on the Speckled Sussex.

The SLW, Delaware, and Black Australorp all look like pullets to me. Based on its comb development at 7 weeks, I'm thinking cockerel on the Speckled Sussex.

Thank you! So is it the height of the comb? Because it's been bigger all along. The guy at the feed store grabbed her/him for me, perhaps I would have noticed a difference in the others had i been picking them out myself! And it's such an odd color, bubble gum pink. I was thinking it had to turn red to be a dead giveaway. Thanks again.

Thank you! So is it the height of the comb? Because it's been bigger all along. And it's such an odd color, bubble gum pink. I was thinking it had to turn red to be a dead giveaway. Thanks again.
The height of the comb at that age is main reason that I'm thinking cockerel on it. I've had Speckled Sussex pullets close to laying age that had smaller combs than that one. However you are right, it's not a dead giveaway because the comb is not that red yet. That's why I said in my post that I'm "thinking cockerel" rather than saying "definitely a cockerel." I hope for your sake, we are all wrong and it turns out to be a pullet with an extra large comb. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom