Rookie needs sick chick advice, please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinksugar, Mar 9, 2013.

1. pinksugar

pinksugar New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    I have a 6 day old chick that seemed fine, I had her vaccinated for Mareks.
    Overnight she started to act paralyzed, can't seem to hold up head, walk or move.
    I have her some electrolyte water this morning and expected she was going to soon die but
    it is now into the evening and she is still in this condition.
    Any comments on what could cause a prolonged dying process or her condition?
    I don't want her to suffer, any help is appreciated.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do the rest seem OK? Be sure they aren't too hot -- they need to be able to get away from the heat -- and be sure fresh water is always available (new chicks tend to fill up water dishes with litter quickly.) What kind of litter are you using? If it's cedar, remove it. How big is the brooder, and does it get fresh air? It should be at least 0.5 sq ft per chick for the first two weeks. Is it a runt who is being kept from the food and water by the others?

That's just a few ideas. Here's a much more complete rundown:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39604/some-causes-of-early-chick-mortality/0_20

3. pinksugar

pinksugar New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks so much. No she was not a runt or picked on. Bedding is pine and all 11 others seem fine. They are in a large furniture box about 3x3 with lots of access to food and electrolyte water. They are in my breakfast area constantly catered to, butts wiped and cared for. Temp constantly monitored and orhers seem happy and spread out among brooder. It is just so sudden and unexpected. She is a larger seemingly healthy up until 12 hrs ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by