1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rookie question on brooder lamps.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peggy O, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Hi....I just set up the TSC brooder lamp we bought in my basement, with a thermometer about 2 feet under it. The thermometer BLEW UP! It's a 250 watt bulb, do these come in other wattages maybe? Did I just have mine way too close to the ground? It's a cool to cold gravel floor basement and I am not even sure if this will be the best place for us to have chicks (only getting 3). I used a cheap red dye filled Walmart outdoor thermometer. Ideally, how close should the lamp be to the chicks?

I ordered a book (Keeping Chickens For Dummies) but it's not here yet. The pictures I see online seem to have the light rather close. Same kind of light? I'm a little scared of that light now.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    lol, i did the same thing yesterday. that red stuff is alcohol. it burned my finger. dont know why, not supposed to. lol they make a 125 heat bulb. and the idea of the 250 is to raise or lower it till you get the 90-95 degrees your looking for at the chicks head height.what is your temp where you have them? if its about 70 you need the 125, if its pretty cold down there keep the 250

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    btw, thats a good book

1 person likes this.
  4. Oh...Ok, thanks :)

I have to run up to our room and grab the small digital thermometer we have in there and see what the temp is down in the cellar. I am guessing high 50's to low 60's? Coolish. I better keep the 250's. We bought a 2 pack on sale for like $7 anyway.

I'm heading back down there to try again. I hope the digital thermometer doesn't blow up. Ha ha. That one also tells humidity level....is there and ideal humidity percentage I am aiming for?

I thought this part (pre chicken set up part) would be fun and easy, lol. Oh well.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you dont have to worry about humidity . just for hatching eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by