rookie with an incubator ..pipping...HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickaroo3, Mar 1, 2012.

1. chickaroo3

chickaroo3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    is everything ok? we are on day 21and 3 out of the 8 eggs have cracks....but nothing else...the shell is cracked, but the membrane is in tact....humidity is 62 percent...is everything ok? We can hear the chirping from inside of the egg...why haven't they broken out....any experience person...is this normal? I noticed the first egg crack at 2pm...it is now almost 11pm

2. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Yep just let them be. It can take 24 hours some times. And the last part goes the fastest. They will zip out when they are ready.

3. chickaroo3

chickaroo3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Thanks...and you are right! Egg #1 is unzipping now...I know that I need to leave the chick in there to dry out, but some of the eggs havent even started...how long should I keep the chick in there ....I dont want him to disturb the other eggs....

4. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    I think they can stay in there for a day or so. They will play soccer with the other eggs!

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They'll be fine in there for 2 or 3 days. Some people do go ahead and pull out the ones that have hatched but it's really best not to open the incubator and let it be. You might dry it out too much and cause the ones not hatched yet to die by opening it.

6. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Congrats on the chicks!!! Aren't they the cutest thing you've ever seen!!!! I have 5 that have hatched over the last 2 days. 3 more to go ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by