Room Darkening Energy Efficient Curtains - Who has them?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Nov 6, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Is there anyone who loves waking up to a room that is pitch black dark in the morning? I do. [​IMG]

I love the room darkening curtains because if I want to take a nap on the weekend, the room allows me to sleep a little better because the room is dark.

For people who work night shifts and need to get some rest during the day, these curtains are great.

The curtains that I have also don't allow the hot sun to shine in and heat up the room. It keeps the room cool which in turns helps with the electricity bill.

How do you like your room darkening curtains?

There are many reasons why you may want to hang room darkening curtains. Perhaps you have bright street lights outside your bedroom window that shine in on you at night, keeping you awake. People who work night shifts and need to sleep during the day also benefit from these types of curtains as it certainly makes sleeping easier during the bright daylight hours.

Parents who find that their children have trouble going to bed on time during the long summer evenings or have a difficult time settling down for a nap during the day will also find them beneficial in helping their little ones have all the rest they need.

They are also helpful to hang in home theaters as too much light coming in from outside can disrupt viewing pleasure and make images shown on television or projector screens difficult to see clearly. Whatever the reason, it should be fairly easy to find a solution that meets your needs.​

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We have them both in the living room and our bedroom. Up until recently my DH worked the night shift so it was important to keep our bedroom dark. In the living room they cover a large picture window. I could tell a difference in the indoor temps. this past summer when we had record highs. The A/C didn't have to struggle nearly as hard to keep the house cool.

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Yes! The blinds really helped with heat gain in summer days, and heat lost in winter nights. The brackets holding them on the windows are weak and tend to tear out - have to hammer them back into shape and 'cuss the whole bracket system, lousy drywall framing, etc. As a matter of fact, the boys' rooms' blinds are down again...

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have some in our living room where there are two large picture windows on the south side of the house. It's amazing how much heat they keep out! Even with the little pin holes from the cat climbing them... [​IMG]

I can sleep when it's light out so I don't need them in the bedroom.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wouldn't be without them.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I wouldn't be able to sleep without them. And Frosty you are right, it's amazing how much heat they keep out.

7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    We use them pretty much all over. Close them as needed, open when we want light. But keeps the heat out and lowers the cold transfer it seems. Plus, the ultra dark rooms help the kids sleep better at night younger.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have them, but I don't like waking up in the dark, feel like I should still be asleep.

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I had them when I worked night shift. I loved them. I also love a pitch black room at night, no moon, no security light. However, now that I have adjusted to day shift the last few years, I don't use them any longer. But when I needed them, they were perfect!

10. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I guess I'm different in that I have ONLY light curtains.

I love a bright room, a bright day. Light colors on my walls.
    County setting, our curtains are never closed.

Spook doesn't like the dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by