1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Room for layers and Meaties

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grandmas Nest, Sep 21, 2010.

1. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    I have a 9 X 7 coop and a 7 X 13 run. I want to raise 10 layers and 10 meaties. I can also put my coop up 16 inches and fence it in will this be enough room for 8 weeks? Then it will just be the 10 layers until it comes fall and I will cut back the layers to the best six for the winter. I will have sand in the run and plan on wood pellets and wood chips in the coop with the deep liter method.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

I would not recommend housing meaties and layers in the same space. They have completely different nutritional requirements, housing requirements, growth rates... in fact the only thing they have in common is that they are both chickens, but that's it. Seriously, meaties are a disaster. They eat a ton, so they poop a ton. They are huge waste producers and with large quantities of waste comes a horrific odor, a huge mess and ammonia fumes that will knock you over. They are also very inactive so they need multiple feed/watering stations so they don't have to waddle too far to eat. They monopolize the feeders and can do so because within days they will far outweigh their layer coop mates. Layers require roosts and space to roam, but meaties can't roost and if they roam too far they will drop dead of a heart attack. Meaties need high protein grower feed at set intervals, whereas layers will still be eating medicated crumbles day and night. If it is at all possible I would keep them housed and fed separately. I have seen them housed together and each time have heard that it is not a good situation. I never house mine together. I actually house my meaties off the premises because I can't take the stench.

If you must house them together then you have adequate coop space for it, although your run space is a bit limited for 20 chickens. As you said it is only temporary, and in 9 weeks you'll have plenty of space.

Good luck.

3. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Quote:Great summary, thanks!

4. grandmas Nest

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    What if I keep the layers in a brooder longer and use the coop and run for the meaties until I bucther them? That way I can start the layers with a roost and all in the brooder and maybe each day have them in a moblie pen with shade for a few hours after they don't need the heat lamp. Would this work?

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:OK let me explain this more clearer--DONT DO IT! I have 24 meaties right now started with 26-they are 6 weeks old yesterday-the are NASTYYYYYYY messy and smelly. I fought the advise given to me on the meat threads for the first few weeks and regret it! house them seperately for good-no coop for meaties [​IMG] and the coop idea I am doing and hate it-do you know whats its like picking up each one of those poop covered birds and putting them in a coop at night! STINKS!!!! put them in a movable tractor and be done with it--my lesson is learned and I have 2 weeks to go with mine and I cant wait until my freezer is full and that coop run is empty so I can clean it up! ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.. Its too bad those birds are so friendly though:-( they really are nice birds

6. grandmas Nest

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    Thanks, I'll do the movable coop with the meaties out away from the house and move it morning and night . Then I can later use the moveable run in the garden area for my layers durning the summer.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:there you go..Now If I would have followed my own advise 6 weeks ago Id be a much happier cleaner woman!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by