Room Mates

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Orpstralope, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    So as some of you know I am in college and have two room mates that live in my house with me. One of them happens to be my brother, and the other is a friend from a couple years back. Recently, our electric bill has been extremely high (for three college boys) and I've been trying to get them to stop using as much electricity. WITH MY MONEY (that I could have spent on chickens), I went out and bought 30 of those new-fangled energy saving light bulbs and put them in every room of the house. I am constantly turning off lights in vacant rooms and televisions and what not. We also run our heat on oil...very expensive. Last night it has gotten to the point where they left our garage door open (heat) with 4 lights on in the garage, along with a fan. That's 12 hours of electricity just gone to waste!

I've tried talking to them about it but they just blow me off because they don't have to pay for anything themselves. I got so mad this morning I even though about kicking both of them out, but I know that won't solve any problem!

How should I handle this nonsense? Ask them nicely again. Explain to them that our family no longer has an income because of the death of our father? I don't think they get it, especially my brother. Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Start pulling the plugs on everything they leave on.. Turn off the breaker for their rooms til they start helping out.. My mom did this with my cousin who was the same way ... Only took a couple days... One really funny one was when she shut off the bathroom breaker with cousin in shower, becasue she left tv, radio, and lighst on..

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Have them buy timers for all of the outlets. Have them buy motion detectors for every room. When they scream at at the cost, tell them that this is what growing up is all about. They were given the choice to make some behavioral changes, and they did not put in the effort, now it is time to pony up and make environmental changes so they can continue to be oblivious to their surroundings.

4. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    That is a wonderful idea...I'll try it out. Thanks!

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I would tell them that from now on the electric bill is going to be split into 3rd because they dont bother to understand how much it costs.

I am sorry about your father, I have had a lot of people live with me over the years and some were great and others had to be put in check. Its funny to because the laziest or worse offenders dont do it or tolerate it in their own homes when it comes down to them paying the bills. I had a roomate who left everything on, well years later in his own place his GF was telling me that he is the electric bill Nazi now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by