Room Temperature during incubation

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Why do I always read that incubation should be done in a room at about 70 deg F.... ? I have used my Brinsea Oct 20 Eco multiple times in my basement where the temp in the Spring is about 53 deg+/-. I just got the Brines Ovation 28 and the manual states not to use in a room below 63 deg. I have been testing it for a hatch set this Friday and it is holding temps at 99.5 to 99.6 without a problem. I would think consistent ambient temp(even cool) is more important than ambient temp swings... yet they don't mention that. Thoughts?
Steve

Why do I always read that incubation should be done in a room at about 70 deg F.... ? I have used my Brinsea Oct 20 Eco multiple times in my basement where the temp in the Spring is about 53 deg+/-. I just got the Brines Ovation 28 and the manual states not to use in a room below 63 deg. I have been testing it for a hatch set this Friday and it is holding temps at 99.5 to 99.6 without a problem. I would think consistent ambient temp(even cool) is more important than ambient temp swings... yet they don't mention that. Thoughts?
Steve

A lot of incubators---for sure the cheaper ones---can not keep the temp inside the incubator up/right if the room gets to cold. That's the reason. I can keep my temp up/right in my home-made incubator and hatcher with the room in the 40's or close 90.

A lot of incubators---for sure the cheaper ones---can not keep the temp inside the incubator up/right if the room gets to cold. That's the reason. I can keep my temp up/right in my home-made incubator and hatcher with the room in the 40's or close 90.
xs 2. Your styros would probably die in a room that cold. But you also have to consider that just because an incubator can come up to temp in colder locations, I imagine that unit is going to have to work harder to do so and therefore has the possibility of shortening the lifespan of the unit. But that's just my logic.

Back
Top Bottom