Room Temperature Eggs...I got "the" look!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, May 19, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I work with an AMAZING lady that brings her fresh eggs to work to give away or sell. She gave me 18 eggs from her farm. I had to work a 9 hour shift today. I had told another person that came in much later to not throw the bag away because it had my eggs in it.

She looked at me and said "But they're room temperature now!" I said "Yeah? What's wrong with that?" She said "That's not sanitary! You'll get sick!"

I told her I'd been eating them that way for 20 years. If I'm not dead yet, I'm gonna keep doing it! lol! The eggs had never been refrigerated before today, where they are in my fridge right now.

Just made me laugh. She actually thought that was the grossest thing she'd ever heard of! haha!

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Some folks just have to live and learn don't they?!

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Apparently, her parents didn't read her Little House on the Prairie. It's dawning on my five year old daughter now that there was another way of life than our modern Los Angeles city life.

5. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

She'd really freak out to see all the eggs on my kitchen counter and none in the fridge! My eggs get used up too quickly to ever need to be refrigerated.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Out here in Australia most shops sell eggs straight off a shelf- not from a cooler section. Where are eggs sold from in a supermarket over there??? If this woman was buying them off a shelf and then taking them home and putting them in the fridge...hers were at room temp for a time as well !!!

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I kinda was that way once... [​IMG]

But I know better now [​IMG]
    Im taking a dozen of my hens eggs camping with us. $20 says someone is gonna wanna stick them in the cooler and Im going to have to dive bomb to stop them [​IMG]

8. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Quote:In the us eggs are kept cold in grocery stores like milk and cheese are.

9. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    My first time in Germany that was one of the first culture shocks. The eggs were just sitting on pallets in the grocery stores. To duckyfromoz: law here in US requires eggs be refrigerated under same conditions as milk. Now that I have my own birds I only fridge them if I have more than we will eat in a few days.

10. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I only put mine in the fridge if it has rained = muddy chicken feet = I must wash all the eggs. Mine just sit on flats on my kitchen counter until I sell them or use them. But I never have them that long.

Last edited: May 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by