Room to land from roost

gallo pinto

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
I'm putting the finishing touches on my coop, and now that it's much less abstract, I'm starting to look at the roost and be a little concerned. Everything I read online about the roost talks about how high it should be, how far from the wall, how far from the roof, how much space per chicken, but nothing seems to mention how much space chickens need to jump off the thing.

My roost is currently around 2 feet off the coop floor and about 2 feet away from the wall that they'd be jumping towards. Is that enough room for Orpingtons and Easter Eggers not to break their beaks on the wall?

Might be tight.
I assume the roost is above the mesh area in the floor?
Is the floor space still as open as shows in this pic?
Looks like your nest floor is even with coop floor?
If so, you could lower the roost.
img_2257-jpg.1279299
That is not my coop...

There is an app for that.......(more like a thread)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-math-made-easy.1149928/

To save you the trouble, angle is 45 degrees. So same amount of horizontal space as vertical height of the roost. At only 2 feet high, they can probably parachute down with no worries.

Thank you! I'm not sure how I missed that as I know I've come across that thread before. It also looks like you were saying 10 inches from the back wall, which means I could move mine back a bit (I believe it's currently at 18 inches. I think if I move it back 4 inches that would give them 2.5 feet of landing pad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom