Roooooooooster noise?Now includes Pics of boys

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by oesdog, Dec 27, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    My Roosters are getting really loud - how can I keep them quiet without the Hatchet???

Oesdog ? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    That's what roosters do.

3. milestoog

milestoog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    My Roosters are getting really loud - how can I keep them quiet without the Hatchet???

Shotgun ?? Short of that ? They are Roosters, and they will get louder

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You can't keep them quiet. They are likely competing with each other. Get rid of all but one or two, and that should decrease the noise level a bit.

Good luck.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Roosters crow. It's what they do.

If it makes you feel any better, I do think you get accustomed to it after awhile. I rarely notice my roosters crowing anymore.

6. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Oh guys I love the sound of Roooosters !!!!!!!!!!

Its NOT ME!!!!!!!!!!!! - I am stressed out and worried about the naighbor who was really nasty last time we had a roo ( The dad of these chicks!!!)
    Knew this wo9uld happen and was prepared in my head but allas not in my heart - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know I have to DO THE THING!!!!!!!!!! I am ok with plucking etc. Done chicken before and Pheasant. But its kind of different when you KNOW them!!!!!

Ok I am a sentimental old fool. - I want to do meat birds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honest I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duck and big Red are on the way out. - Blue is Omlets pal so will keep him a while longer - Omlet looks like she is turning into a he so ???????
    Can;t have 4 Roooooooooooooooosters can I.

Oesdog

7. kenw

kenw New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    Sad but true. (I am a bit neurotic- I get nervous if I don't hear mine crow!)

8. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Have you tried rehoming any of them on here??

9. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Your mostly in USA I am in Ireland - its a wee bit far for my lads to fly!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately no one wants roosters and while I understand where your comming from my original intention was to breed chicks in a closed flock, use the Hens for layers and the unwanted Roooos for meat. I don;t want to spend all this time and effort for someone else to put them in their freezer do I.

Oesdog

10. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Your mostly in USA I am in Ireland - its a wee bit far for my lads to fly!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately no one wants roosters and while I understand where your comming from my original intention was to breed chicks in a closed flock, use the Hens for layers and the unwanted Roooos for meat. I don;t want to spend all this time and effort for someone else to put them in their freezer do I.

Oesdog

I misunderstood and thought you weren't ready to "do the deed" yourself just yet. I just figured I'd ask because everyone says it is really hard to rehome roos, but I had posted a listing online for one that I had to rehome and got several responses in an hour which allowed me to chose which person/family I wanted him to go to.

If your intention was to eat the roos, then I suppose now would be the time to start. [​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by