Roos and drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Feb 21, 2014.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Ok, so it is nasty outside and I went to the website for the rescue where our ducks come from. I noticed they have TONS of roosters. Obviously, I know lots of people don't want them, and I know some of the reasons.
    Soooo, this is my question. I have 8 female ducks, and one drake. My drake is pretty docile. He is a runner. If I got a friendly, docile roo, can he live with the ducks? Pros, cons? Will he be too lonely without a few chickens to keep him company.
    Depending on the answers I get here, I may contact the woman at the rescue that I normally deal with. She is a wealth of knowledge and care deeply about her charges. I know she will give me an honest answer. But before I bother her, I thought I'd throw it out here. If I get a ton of answers saying it is a bad idea, I will drop it.
    Just thinking.........................of course, this may just push hubby over the edge! LOL

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'd be concerned he'd try my ducks on.(the roo) and i would bet fighting would definitely be possible... I have roos here.. 8 of the darn things... they are banty cute but i cannot let them loose of they harass my standard hens and my ducks!! frankly, my drakes would clean their clocks if they tried anything.

I am sure there are exceptions but that is one experiment i would skip.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have roosters and drakes but they all free range together but don't sleep together. My one game bantam roo will try to start something with the drakes and they just come right back at him but it never amounts to anything, I don't think I'd keep a rooster by himself without some hens to keep him happy though. I know what you mean about extra roos though, when someone dumped a Naked neck rooster at our church I'd tried for a month to find him a home even calling farm rescues [which I didn't even know where around our parts] nope no one could take him they already had to many roos, so yep I brought him home, He has to sleep in the one duck coop because my other 2 roos won't even allow him to come into their coop, but he gets to mingle with the hens daily. He roosts and my 4 ducks sleep in their stall.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    He is very nice, though i cringe at the comb and wattles with my cold temps lol As ML said, i would definitely not take him without having some hens. Of coarse that doesn't always go well, some hens can be real nasty to roos.

6. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Ok, sigh, guess it was not a great idea. I just feel bad cause they have so many at the rescue. But it is a great place and honestly, they are living a good life there, so I don't need to worry.

My husband is thanking you both profusely for talking me out of it!!!!!!!!!!

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, no i think it's a great idea, just to do so would require certain steps and set-ups. Sadly, roosters do have a less than desirable appeal because you simply cannot keep loads of them without a solid plan. Ours are here because they were part of SR and being Banty take little room and feed. I certainly wouldn't keep them if they were standards, that would be far to many to deal with. I keep to many drakes as it is.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] I love my roos, they are the best at sounding the alarm and the hens love them. like GQ said though you have to have the set up to keep them but hey why not try to figure something out, I'm sure dh could come up with something. [​IMG] I am glad to hear they are well taken care of, I was very surprised when I found out we had to farm rescues with in 70 miles of each other but full up.

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Do you have any chickens veronicasmom? maybe this is a sign for you to start a flock? do they have any hens? so they could adopt you out a proper flock?? yes, yes we are enablers. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    okay I'll do it for you... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by