Roos and Hens pooping and perching in nesting boxes

katie197888

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Upperco, MD
We hatched a flock of 6 roos and 6 hens in october. Only have 3 roos now but all 9 chickens almost always perch on the nesting boxes, and poop in them constantly and I don't want to go digging in it for eggs unless I have gloves! On top of that its so funny..I'll have to put a picure up, sometimes all 9 are resting in 4 boxes even though we have 8 boxes. How can I keep the roos from perching on the boexs and pooping in them!

Thanks!

Mine do this but I am working on getting mine into a bigger coop. can they get to the roost, I would block off your nest boxes at night so they can't get into them and maybe put them on the roost the 1st couple of nights I had to do this with my 1st flock they where used to sleeping on the floor.

The roost is very easy to get to. They are probably doing this because we had the nesting boxes built before the roost. And they don't just do it at night, they do it all day! Out of all 9 MAYBE just maybe there is 1 or 2 on the roost sometimes when I go into the coop.

Even if they do this during the day, I'd block them off each evening (just for about a week). And each evening, I'd go out and place each bird on the roost (once again, should only need to do this for about a week) that didn't make it up there. They'll learn.

Awesome
smile.png
I'll give it a try, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom